Monday, November 7, 2011

Race Report: 2011 Anaconda WA

Forest Gump was onto something when he said “life is like a box of chocolates; you never know what you’re going to get.”

The Race
Anaconda WA is raced in Augusta, about 30 minutes south of Margaret River on the south-west coast of Western Australia. By participation, its the largest adventure race in the world with 1700 competitors.  This years edition also doubled as the Trans-Tasman Trophy so the field was especially deep and included five-time world champion (and 8:05 Ironman PB for those of you that don't speak AR) Richard Ussher. The WA race includes the standard Anaconda ‘legs’ being Swim, Paddle, Run and Bike but in the unusual order of Run, Swim, Paddle, Bike, Run.  My previous experience with this race was in 2009 and I remember clearly the challenges of crippling cramps in the cold Southern Ocean swim following a fast, but sandy run leg.  This year, all the talk leading up to the race centred on the Great White Shark(s) that had killed three locals in three months and forced the widespread cancellation of water based events in the region.



The Plan

My injury in July allowed me time to re-evaluate my plan for the season. My time goal of a 4:45hr race time was important to me, but more so I wanted to go back to basics with my training and achieve the consistency that had eluded me over previous seasons.  I believe the appropriate expression is “JFT.”



So come race day, I’d already achieved my goal. I’d missed only one session in 8 weeks and the instructions from the coach were clear “you’ve done everything I’ve asked; race hard, listen to your body and the result will look after itself.” My plan was set.


'Victory or Death' on the Rocks


What Really Happened

Remarkably, everything fell into place (but that’s a very short blog). The run was tough, and my HR was literally maxed out for most the leg (ave 185bpm) as I tried to fight for position through the rocky madness (see this video of the start http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5T7IYpX45Q&hd=1). Fortunately, I scraped through slightly quicker than in 2009, which meant I was on track for at least a par result. More importantly though, my knee had held out and this allowed me to relax knowing my best legs were still to come [BIG Relief].



During the week I’d deliberated about whether or not to do the swim in a wetsuit and after weighing up the pros and cons I’d decided to swim sans suit. This meant a lightning transition, gaining me back a few places, but a slightly slower swim and lesser likeness to your average fur seal. Out onto the swim, I felt comfortable and gained back a few more places but never really hit a good rhythm. I again had to fight back the cramps, but figured that was better than fighting back the sharks.  Mark Duncan and I gingerly exited the water together and set off down the beach toward our skis. 


Mark leading us into the Swim - Paddle Transition
 

I jumped in my boat, and promptly fell out the other side, but otherwise got away quickly in pursuit of Mark who had opened up a small lead across the inlet. In an annoying but convenient twist of fate my Garmin had decided to start doing 1km auto laps. Although it had been annoying me earlier it now meant I could keep track of my speed. What it told me was that I was averaging in the low 10’s (kmh) and that meant I was on track for a really strong paddle split.



By the time I exited the water I was 12minutes ahead of my target time (5:00), and feeling really strong. I knew the group in front of me had a few minutes, so place gains were going to be tough, but for the first time in months my pre-season time goal of 4:45 was becoming a reality. Now was the time where all that injury frustration could be overcome.


Ginormous boat replaces man's head


Mark and I had ridden the bike course during the week and apart from the two big hills I knew it could be ridden in a big gear. I quickly caught the pair that had paddled past me in a double ski and used them as a pace guide through the early part of the course.  I passed them at the top of the sand hill after deciding to run it rather than struggle in the sand and never really looked back.



The final stanza of the race is a 3km beach run back to Augusta. Not much really needs saying about that except that it leaves you with the feeling that you’re running in quick sand. One step forward, one step back.  I crossed the finish line in 4:41. 13th Op Men, 10th Australian.


Out on ze bike
 

What we can take away from the race

Positives:

My paddle split was off the planet.  I really didn’t expect to go that fast and it gives me confidence that if I can consistently nail a good paddle split, I can expect consistent overall results.  I was also super happy with my run split given it was the complete ‘unknown’ before the race.



Areas for improvement:

For the first time in as long as I can remember, there isn’t really an obvious area that let me down.  From now on, small improvement across each the legs will continue to progress me up the leaderboard. There's still lots of work to do though!



Progress from Previous Action Plan:

  • Incorporate massage into pre-race shedule (Wednesday/Thursday) - Done
  • Keep a lid on the pace until the legs have warmed up - Done
  • Program time in the open water to polish the ‘specific’ skills - Done
  • Properly establish target times - Done
  • Use my support crew to keep me informed about my overall position - Done

New Action Plan:

The action plan from here is to:

  • Keep training consistently
  • Incorporate massage into pre-race schedule
  • Avoid falling down hills
  • JFT

Legs burning, must reach finish...


So, where to from here?  My racing schedule from here is a little up in the air, but will most likely consist of either the Swisse Mark Webber Tasmania Challenge or Anaconda Lorne in December.  Beyond that, we’re again returning to Falls Creek in January for some altitude training and some equally serious coffee drinking.



On a more sober final note, this season’s been a tough one already with a lot of ups and downs. I’ve had some great medical support in the form of Maria DiMichele (Massage) and Andy Stevens (Physio) returning me to operation; a fantastic coach (Simon Knowles) who has modified nearly everything to get me fit in literally 10 weeks; some solid supporters in Merida (Mark) and Melbourne Bicycle Centre – Clifton Hill (Warren) who rebuilt my bike after it was damaged overseas; and most importantly, a wonderful partner (Soph) who nursed me back to health and never complained once.  These are the people behind this result, and who are equally entitled to enjoy it! Next stop 4:30?

1 comment:

  1. Great blog Aaron...more speed in you yet

    Coaching stroke rate at squad using the
    table below.... might give you some free speed
    especially with a wettie....
    http://www.swimsmooth.com/strokerate.html#chart

    ReplyDelete